Saturday, February 7, 2015

Kaleefournia Windage

30 mph gusts in the middle of the night. I walked out to find two of my neighbors in their Nanook get-ups, braving the elements, sometime around 03:00. Me in wind resistant Longjohns. Polypropylene inside, cotton outside. Alaska holdovers. It didn't bug me that much. Pineapple Express kinda' storm. The leading edge was noisy but, dry. The windows were rattling a bit but, nothing major. I could hear the trees whistling, which, I enjoy. Birds were "grounded."

Rain is on the way, f'er sure. It may or may not amount to much. It felt like we were getting the Southern end of a swirly. Typical for this time of year. I lent someone my '80's Sierra Designs Goretex jacket. He needed it. Otherwise, he would have been really uncomfortable. I don't wear the thing much anymore anyway. Bought new gear this season. It's still  Primo Gear. I've taken good care of it.

Now, of course, it's dead calm and sort of clear and "warm." High 50's anyway. Not bad for February 7.

Had a dream about an old friend. It woke me up. Dali'-esque, post-apocalyptic, busted shit everywhere, just like the bad parts of Pacoima, flaming/burnt cars, Zombie-like people, yadda-yadda. Mike and I were having a good time walking through it though. Strange how dreams work. There are numerous theories. None of them: "100% true." None of them mean a whole lot after waking up. I take my morning medications and it all changes. Light, color, sounds, tactile perception. Television or music. Coffee, cigarettes and maybe a doughnut. Today, it's biscuits and gravy.

My neighbors are "Stuck Outside Of Reno With The Memphis Blues Again." Semi wreck. They can't get "up the hill" to Tahoe. They'll cut around Sarcastimento to Williams, then to Ukiah and North. Solid plan. "Huckleberry and Pippi" will be fine. Der Deutschen Wagon does well in shitty weather. My '60 Karmann Ghia kicked serious ass in crappy meteorological circumstance. 1825cc twin side drafts, flow-through. "Beefed up." High end gears, better suspension, etc.. "Poor Man's Porsche." "German Jeep."

Now, it's "too damned quiet" outside. Which denotes rain on the way.

So, it goes.

-Doc



 



       



No comments:

Post a Comment