Monday, October 5, 2015

A Consequence of "Walking"

Achy-Breaky Hips. No weight on, just boots vs. concrete.

Years back, I thought nothing of tossing 90 lbs. on my back and "disappearing" for weeks. These days, it ain't happening. 10-15 miles of out-and-about on City Streets with a day pack and a loaf of bread kicks my ass. Oh well. I knew it would happen, someday. Other "somedays," 15 miles ain't Doodly Squat. In fact, I usually arrive home refreshed, ready for a sandwich and "other writing." The kind I get paid for. Good boots, fresh bread or not.

It's "indoor termite" time again. They crawl across my TV and monitor and get into my electronics, in general. Some meet their desperate fate-by-hand, others are too quick. At least the Western Drought has beckoned less Hornets.

I don't like Hornets. In fact, I actually "hate" them. They stung me more than 100 times, up in the Sierra's, when I was about 17 years old. Waist length hair, bell bottoms, you get the idea. The "score" isn't equal, yet. I plan to slaughter as many as possible before I die. Outright swatting, flaming brake cleaner, hair spray, motor oil, M-80's, you name it: "They die." Having stomach convulsions, lungs trying to shut down, being temporarily blind, vomiting, etc., wasn't a party. I'm not "done." They, are. I have learned to "roll them with my palm, into the ground and then, stunned, KILL them." Bwaa-Hah-Hah-Hah.

The hair on my neck still stands up when I hear them near me. Fuckers.

I found a really nice Sierra Designs two person tent the other day at a thrift store, for $10.00. Sans rainfly, which isn't a big deal. God made 8'x10' tarps for a reason. Rain porch/cook area/make-it-yourself-rainfly. Mother of Invention, all that. A tarp is also much less expensive than a replacement rainfly. "What do you want for a cool, 10 buck 1980's SD tent, anyway?" The zippers work and the netting is intact.They, SD tents, last forever. The Aluminium poles are in "new" condition. The fly was probably knackered, anyway.

Monday. More shopping. Cold weather on its' way. Lamp oil, more candles, canned goods, haul out the Midweight sleeping bag, trim all wicks and get some more batteries. "Ugly" is just around the corner.



It could happen any day. Or, any hour. I "put the gloves on" while walking to the store the other night. Then again, there was that one Winter when "frostbite" happened, many years ago, in some uncharted area of Wyoming or, Alaska. The ends of my fingers still hurt when it's cold outside, sometimes. Usually, pockets work. I own many pairs of gloves. My digits are safe. I make sure of them.

Warm cookies and hot chocolate for ALL,
(Talk to me in February...),
-Doc






   


No comments:

Post a Comment