Tuesday, April 19, 2016

OH, MAMA, IS IT REALLY MUMBLE, MUMBLE, MUMBLE, AGAIN?

Ever known somebody that doesn't pronounce their consonants? It sounds like they have marbles in their mouth. I notice that allot of people about 20-30 years younger than myself do that. Or, they insert consonants that simply aren't there to begin with. A peeve, "pet" or not, comes to mind. People that say: "Warshington" (or, is it "Worshington?) instead of Washington. A neighbor of mine does that, as do members of his Family. Then again, there's not a High School Diploma among the bunch. I have to believe that it goes deeper than that though. My theory is: They simply don't "care." They've made up their own, regional, ass-backwards, secret language and they're sticking to it. Frank Zappa said something similar about Truck Drivers.

Tom Robbins had a gripe/comment/observation about the overuse of slang. He said something like: "Sure, slang is great if brevity is your objective but, in the end, people end up calling one thing another and that ultimately makes them crazy." He was/is right. The other day, I was In Town and as I was passing one of the book stores, noticed that Tom has a new book out on the shelves. I still haven't got around to reading the one before this new one. Something about Savages or something... I like Tom Robbins' work. He: "turns a phrase well." Which, is a requirement for me reading anything. I tend to favor the Prose style, as you may have noticed. Most of my favorite Writers write Prose. At least most of the time.

My Internet/Phone connections have been on the fritz lately. It's annoying. The Lineman that serviced my line yesterday said there was a "leg" coming off of my line and that he was killing that off so I'd have a "dedicated pipe." All of that sounds vaguely "naughty," huh? To the contrary, it's just Secret Techie Language. "...it will make you crazy." Remember that.

Anyway, one of the things that's not working correctly is Spotify, a music streaming application. Which "kind of sucks" but, that I also don't call that much about because I have TONS of my own music to listen to already. I'm actually thinking of unsubscribing from the service. They Re-Master allot of music and that makes it sound terrible/different than the albums/tapes/CD's I already own. If the Songlists I have created don't stop "not loading" I will kill the service.

Double negative's for EVERYBODY!

I feel like there's something else I ought to be doing right now. I'm going to go find out what that is.

-Doc







    

No comments:

Post a Comment