Friday, March 20, 2015

New "Icons Of Weirdness" Shelf

I collect stuff. Lots of it. Mostly idiosyncratic, eccentric, kitchy-koo-koo type stuff. The weirder, the better. I am a weird guy, period. So "They" tell me, since I was about 8 years old. I perceive it to be an asset.

So, I decided that I had too much weirdness on one shelf in the apartment. Ya' gotta' spread The Weird around. Believe me, there's more than enough to go around. In here, anywhere. The World is the "wrong kind of" Weird. I tend to prefer my own brand. Old habits, stuck in a rut, high-centered and outta' gas. Pretty good shelf builder though.

Listening to Little Feat. Time Loves A Hero stuff. Good work music. Not that putting up the shelf took very long. About 10 minutes. Two metal brackets, a level and a screw gun. Done. New weird stuff already cleaned up and in place. It was "something to do" today.

I built the new shelf out of a piece of 100 year old Redwood that I rescued from a scrap heap, pulled all of the old square nails out of and sanded, years back. I rescued about 50 linear feet of the stuff in all. My old Landlord (a real East Bay Scumbag) stole about 20' of it. I clipped him $1,400.00 on rent for having human shit backing up into my shower that he seemed to have a problem in hearing about. I spent a small fortune on bleach and had to shit, shower and shave at a friend's place. I figure we're about "even."

The wood in question was a supply shack behind a Mexican restaurant in a harbor I used to live in about 8 years ago. It's amazing what people want to "throw away." I rescue wood like that and re-use it. All the shelving in this joint are made of that wood, save one, which came out of a coffee roasting place that has since burned down. "Get it while it's hot."

Tonight's menu: Spicy curried rice with a chunked, sauteed, pork chop and Lima beans with a couple of beers. Hearty, simple, quick-fix kind of meal. "Stick-To-Y'er-Ribs-Weather's-Turning-Wet-and-Cold" kind of meal. It's supposed to start raining this weekend. I made soup yesterday. Put too much barley in it, which I'll have to "fix" later. No problem.

Shelf work done and Little Feat over, it's on to "The Departed" with Nicholson and all the Young Wunderkind from Southie. One of those movies I could watch twenty times, as if I were on a boat 500 miles from the nearest TV signal, the tour was six months long and there were only 200 VHS tapes onboard. Happens all the time. Every guy that's spent time out to sea knows the drill.

Yea, I know...It's overplayed. Every Red Sox Games for the rest of our lives. So what. My best living Friend is from Lawrence. My best dead friend was a major Bo-Sox fan, from Jersey City, although he claimed to be from Pawtucket, Rhode Island. I have his ball cap. (Good deal for having to fight City Hall and get him properly, Militarily, buried, huh? He was a Marine. He didn't deserve an "unmarked, group grave.") Besides, they're an American League team and don't play the S.F. Giants, unless it's the World Series. They got Pablo Sandoval from us this year. His choice, if he wants to lose the World Series. "If" and "when" Boston makes it there again. Not a Boston hater, just a Giants fan.

I don't get tired of hearing this song or this band. Punk Rock with banjo and bagpipes? You fuckin' bet ya'.


-Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment