Saturday, March 21, 2015

Rain. "Sort Of." Tent Repair, For Sure.

.02" accumulated over the last 12 or so hours. "More on the way," "they" say. We could use about 12" or so. Full-on Monsoon, gully washer kind of affair.

Let it flood Downtown, which is basically at Sea Level. It did exactly that earlier this year when we got allot of rain all at once and there was a very high tide, simultaneously. I'm on a Limestone cap at about 160' above that elevation, on a raised lot that will never flood, unless a large Tsunami rolls up the old creek beds that pass through and around the golf course and "flats" that're a stone's throw away.

One or two of the reasons "why" I picked this old place. (That and the fact that it's one of two apartment buildings anywhere around this neighborhood) Actually, the original main body of the building is the same age I am. Built in 1954, by a guy that worked in one of the large lumber mills. The walls are all solid Red Oak, no insulation at all, just flat-stacked 2"x4" boards nailed one on top of the other. Solid as a brick shit house. Rides out earthquakes really smoothly as well. It "flexes." Mo' bettah than masonry, anyday.

Up early this morning. Saturdays are one of the three days per week that I can take a nap in the early afternoon. My Noisy Neighbor has an appointment with his Dialysis Clinic. Truth is: I wake up this early, often. I like that it's dark and quiet outside and I get to listen to and watch the World wake up around me. The Aleutian Geese fly over on their way to or from the river and the smaller birds start having their chirpy little conversations in the shrubbery outside. Soon, the Geese will leave to go back to Alaska and that signals True Spring. As we sit right in the middle of the Pacific Flyway, allot of birds come through here twice a year. Right now it's mostly Stellar's Blue Jays and Finches. Later on, Swallows zooming around looking for nesting sites, Robins pecking for worms and such and lots of smaller song birds doing what they do. The occasional Osprey and Eagle, Red Tail Hawk, Owls and other Raptors...

More Spring Cleaning stuff and reorganizing around here today. I think today will be "closet day." Move some accumulated junk into my storage Cubby and just tidy up that space. Maybe fix my old Walrus tent too. I goofed up when I took it down last time I used it and it needs a patch. Gorilla Duct Tape and some kind of epoxy will do. Some "other company" bought them out a few years back. MSR?

Anyway..."Field Repair." I don't care if it's ugly, it just has to work correctly. They aren't making those tents anymore. Two person, mountaineering, four season tent with tons of space inside and twin vestibules, single door, buttons up tighter than a piccolo snare drum. Bullet proof, unless one "goofs up" and puts a pole through the fabric while taking it down. It does have some UV damage from prior use. Not a big deal, since it was purchased at a pawn shop for $75.00 instead of the $300.00 they cost new. I've only used it a couple of times. I have other tents anyway. Just not a roomy, four season one. Camping Season is right around the corner.



Very similar to the tent I own. Basically, they're the same.

Wish me, closet space making and Gorilla Tape luck,
-Doc









No comments:

Post a Comment