Monday, May 23, 2016

COMPUTER REPAIRMAN BLUES...

"Waiting for The Electrician or, Someone Like Him." -Firesign Theatre

It's hard for me to "get" that some Guy has to drive 100 miles to get to my machine, which I purchased from a factory in North Carolina, which was made in China, which was sold by some person in Texas... To have a Service Call and Techie Inspection. There is something very Wrong in River City with this whole scenario. I knew that I should have just bought another "factory refurbished" machine from Hewlett Packard. They're "right down the road." Some folks bad mouth HP machines. I for one, disagree. My old machine, which I am currently using here while waiting for said Techie to come tomorrow, still works just fine. It's still running XP-Pro like gangbusters and Uncle Billy and Co. can kiss my ass if they think I'm buying their "security updates scare campaign." I did realize that, at some point, I was going to have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or 10 but, held out as long as possible. I didn't want to be part of Uncle Billy's Beta Crew, to endure all the shit fits of a roll-out before it was actually debugged. Microsnarf DOES DO THAT SHIT. They'll roll out a new OS and let the Public figure out all the crappy features, unless the Chinese/Ruskies/Bulgarians, etc., figure a way into the back door first. Fargin' Bastiges. Bells in a sling. ("Johnny Dangerously" quotes for the uninitiated.)

Anyway, there will be a Lenovo Party at my house tomorrow morning: "between the hours of 08:00 and 11:00," as usual. The Cable TV Guy Schedule... It's a squirrelly road between here and there so, I understand. Shit, all the roads between "here and there" have rockslides, mudslides, Log Truck Slides, Drunk Driver Slides and just about any other type of mishap one might imagine. Best to drive those roads in mid-week at mid-day.

They are the kinds of roads my old 1948 Dodge would be comfortable on. People drive them like they can go 70 mph the whole way though, French Kissing your bumper stickers and whatnot. Thank God for: "Pull Outs." (Doesn't sound Manly to me, Dick...) A 1948 Dodge Custom Touring Sedan tops out at about 90 mph before it gets all wobbly n' stuff, valves start floating, etc., so, there's no arguing with a Japanese two-seater with a hood full of angry insects. It's a 220 cid Flathead 6, for Christ's Sakes! The windshield wipers slow down when you hit the gas! Deal with it, Tojo. Trust me, Honda-San, you don't want to Cornhole this 3/8 Detroit Cold Rolled Steel. Your sloped hood will end up tossing my differential's salad.


Mine was the D-24 Model. This is a D-25 Four Door. Pretty much the same car through. 4,000 lb. Jap Killer. Comfortable, Big Old Car. "Fluid Drive Transmission" 3-on-the-tree (precursor to "Automatic") More torque than a Sherman Tank. Really Bitchy Lycoming Brakes that always needed adjustment. I had all the "Special Tools" to go with the car and knew how to use them. I kept a hubcap, an extra hood ornament and a badge with the Little Clipper Ship That Could logo.

"Back seat big enough for a whole Cheerleaders' Squad." So said the Old Guy I bought mine from. Thanks for the line, Howard. I have Uncles named Howard. Harold, too... They were chock full of stories and jokes, too. Seems to run in the Family.

Listening to the Long Catalog of John Hartford and a bunch of other Old Timey Music this A.M.. Stuff that would sound good in this here old car. Road Trip to "Wherever" Music. Get tired? There's a sleeping bag in the back seat, next to The Cheerleaders and Robert Crumb's old popcorn box.

Happy Trails,
-Doc




















  

No comments:

Post a Comment