Sunday, April 19, 2015

Earl Grey And A Favorite Album, Or Five

Nice restful sleep last night. Lord Baltimore (The "Neighbor") came home from his dialysis regimen, ate something and went to sleep. It was actually quiet. I had a salad, some mashed potatoes and a pork chop for dinner. I was in bed by 19:00 and asleep by 20:00. Slept straight through until about 03:30. A nice: "block of shuteye." One of "reasons" I get up so early is: I get to avoid Lord Baltimore's Non-Stop "Reggae" Shindig, which drags on and on, everyday he's hanging around his apartment next door. By the by, L.B. wouldn't know "Reggae" if he had both testicles in an alligator's jaws, while being asked to name some actual Reggae Artists. He might get one or two. The shit he listens to is nothing more than repetitive electronic drum-tracked Hip-Hop that's horribly over bass processed with an Island flavor. Which, totally blows dead bears as it seeps through my kitchen wall. If I weren't such a swell guy, I'd blast Hank Williams Sr. back at him, endlessly.

Woke up  to David Attenborough's High Queen's English voice and the Planet Earth series. I don't care how many times I've seen it, I'm always fascinated. At the show's content, not Attenborough's voice, Jocko. I can't hear it anyway. I'm listening to Neil Young and Stephen Stills' "Long May You Run." It always makes me think of my time living in Hawai'i. Four years and change back in the 90's.

Hawai'i is a weird place. Some parts incredibly beautiful and pristine, other places despoiled by the tourist industry to the point where it looks more like parts of Southern California than Hawai'i. Lahaina and Kona being the worst offenders of the latter. The other strange thing is what is commonly referred to as "Island Fever" or, "Rock Fever" wherein, when you first move there, you feel like you're trapped on some desolate deserted atoll. On Maui, for instance (where I spent most of my time) you can only go 60-something miles in one direction before doubling back to from whence you came.

I did enjoy sitting on the lanai at the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina having a cold drink and listening to old slack key guitarists through the house system. Sol Ho'opi'i, Gabby Pahinui, etc.. Plus, there was the mystique of The Pioneer being one of the settings for Bernard Mickey Wrangel's wild escapades. (Read Tom Robbins' "Still Life With Woodpecker," if you haven't already. Somebody should seriously make a movie out of that fucker. It's a playful prose romp about "how to make Love stay" that, ostensibly, "takes place in a package of Camel cigarettes." So says Tom, anyway.) Would it translate well to film? I don't know. Somebody ought to take a shot at it though.

Looks to setting up for a nice day in Fog City today. It may hit the mid-60's and get clear outside. Well, we'll see.

My All Time Favorite Neil Young Song. The first one I ever heard, about a million years ago...


Of course, it's not the only favorite as, there are many. I have a very hard time picking out "favorite" anythings. What's "good" at night might suck in the wee hours of the morning.

Ad addendum: Took out the Walrus Arc 2, 4 Season tent, hung it over the porch rail for a few hours, set it up and aired it out. Patched a tear in the rain fly, which is showing marked signs of UV deterioration. I have decided that it has become a "1 Season tent." Summers. I'll use it until it, literally, "falls apart." That's what I "do" with stuff. I will be buying a new tent soon though. I LOVE camping in the rain and wind.

-Doc    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment