Thursday, January 15, 2015

NOW, THIS GUY IS A "WALKER"

Hats off to Christoph Rehage!


I've done some LONG walks but This Cat has me beat, hands down. Viel gluck, Meine Freunde!

I have walked the entire Coastline of the State of Oregon. That took a bit over a month to do @ an average of ten miles per day. Some days less, some days more. A few days with no boots on, just resting "here and there." I thought that was: "A Long Walk." I usually let my hair grow and bread bush out too. Wilderness doesn't care about your grooming habits.  

I have walked over 1,000 miles inside the Grand Canyon, give or take a few miles. I've stomped all over the Cascades, The Rockies, Parts of Appalachia, Alaska, The Wasatch Range, King Range, Sierra's, Tetons and Gros Ventre, etc., etc.. Deserts here and Glaciers there. Lots of walking. I've been much, much, farther at sea and in the air. 10's of thousands of miles each.

Enough about me. Watch the Uber Cool Video Montage.

Storm comin' "out there." Another wet one headed our way here on The Lost Coast. It's the right time of year for it. I was explaining to one of my neighbors yesterday that I actually use the Aleutian Geese as a Seasonal Barometer. It's "Fall" when they arrive and "Spring" when they leave. I watch insects, trees and clouds for other indicators. I'm "fond of weather" and "knowing/guessing what's going to happen next." I get to watch the Pygmy Redwoods that are my Living Room "view" dance and sway when the frontal systems pass through. The "leading edges." Then, it goes calm and you can expect rain, usually. The barometer is stable, so far.

I got "stuck" to the Newz yesterday. Lots of really weird shit going on in the World. I'm: "getting used to it." THAT scares me. That I'm: "getting used to it." I feel pretty safe where I am but, ya' never know. It's more likely that you'll get run over by some idiot driving a car than blown up by a Terrorist around here. Drivers act like THEY RULE THE CROSSWALKS in this town. I beg to differ and so does the spark plug socket in my pocket. Yes, I will hurl a deep well socket through your windshield if I am convinced that you're going to hit me with your car @ 45mph. You'll run into parked cars and nobody will have to "chase you down" for hitting a pedestrian. Last Defiant Act, all that.

Doing more laundry and putting finishing touches on a cassette Master for my Friend, Lu-Lu, In Seattle. Some sketches, noodles and a couple of "mostly finished pieces." Lu-Lu used to be my Queen Of The Undead/Punk Rock-y Neighbor for a couple of years. We grew up pretty near each-other in the SoCal period of my life. Then we meet here. We have common interests: Bukowski, Brautigan, Kerouac, Vonnegut, Sex and Death 'Toons, Captain Beefheart, Lebowski-isms, etc.. Kismet! We stay in touch and I will visit her in Seattle, along with a trip to Fisherman's Paradise in Marblemount, Wa., soon. My Buddy Sleeve Jobs, "Not His Real Name" lives in M'mount and is right at the confluence of the Skagit and Cascade Rivers. Salmon-O-Rama! Let the Stacy Keach Look-Alike Contest Begin! That's a quick yarn for ya'. Here goes:

Sleeve and Akbar, "Not Their Real Names" used to work at Bumble Bee Seafoods in Bellingham, Wa., at the same time(s). Sleeve and Akkie used to offload boats. Millions of pounds of (mostly Pink) Salmon in a 24 hour period. I worked "inside" doing various jobs until I ended up in the "Can Loft." (Where .25lb, .5lb and 1.0lb Fish Coffins Are Made") Sleeve and Akbar were down in the holds of boats, waist deep in dead-eyed, slimy briney Salmon, filling "brailers" with them and hoisting out with a short rest in between. Working with dead fish will make you crazy. Trust me, I KNOW about this shit. To "cut to the chase": They invented a creative time-waster called "The Stacy Keach Look-Alike Contest." The Actor, Stacy Keach has a cleft pallet, a hare lip. The Boys would take fish and ram them onto the interior walls and braces inside boats and vie for the title of Best Stacey Maker Of The Day. The more mangled the facial features of the Salmon, the better the point score. The heads were only used for crab bait when they had been butchered or canned anyway, no "product" lost there. "Staring into dead fish for extended periods of time will make you crazy. Been there, done that, got the hats and T-Shirts." Used to have a Sweatshirt. I'm working on it. Rather, Lazy Boy Peckerwood is SUPPOSED TO BE working on it.

The best thing about working in a BIG cannery was The Ritual Burning Of Fish Clothes at the end of every season. Beach Blanket Bla-a-a-ckout! Party with your tits (or y'er ass) painted with bullseyes, full of whatever poison blew y'er skirt up. They usually lasted a couple days and involved being woke up by getting hit in the face with a rotten fish, having one laid next to you like a sleeping Girlfriend, or something else really weird. Keep a glass of milk with four shots of Vodka in it close, you're going to throw up anyway.

Live From Our Lady Of Rotting Dead Fish's Shower Room,
-Doc

One of the hazards of "walking roadways.":



        

 





  

No comments:

Post a Comment