Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Arch Nemeses, Wars and "Causes"

If you're a San Francisco Giants Fan, which I am, you hate the L.A. Dodgers. We are just coming off a good series with the Cincy Reds, away. 20 runs in 3 games? Yea, that's pretty good. Posey just whacked one over Rollins, LA's short stop, for a ice-breaker run in the 3rd inning with two on. The bases become loaded and Hunter Pence can't handle Frias' Cutter. Oh well, lots of ball left to play. Then two more games, at home.

My Primary Physician's Brother is the Head Camera Man for the Giants. I've bugged her to try and get me a Kruk and Kuip Autographed Ball. K&K are, if you don't know already, the hometown announcers for the Giants. I won't listen to any other guys call the games. There's always the radio AND TV.

But, this here thang ain't about Baseball, as much of a RABID FAN as I am, I'll actually "try" to keep baseball out of it as much as I can. It won't work.

What a bunch of weird shit in the News this past couple of days. Biker Wars, REAL WARS, rumors of wars, hypothetical wars. WE oughta' just outlaw wars, altogether. I like Kurt Vonnegut's statement about wars. He was in one. Got the crap bombed out of himself in Dresden. With Memorial Day coming up, I tend to start thinking about stuff like this.

"One thing I will tell you, Babies, is: You've got to be KIND." -K.V.

I come from a multi-generational Military Family. War Heroes, Dead Guys, Regular Folks, Sharpshooters, Pilots, Musicians, you name it. We lost a Kid in the Family in Afghanistan. Tragic. Happened while he and his guys were trying to rescue some other guys that had become cut off from their unit. My Uncle, Mom's Older Brother, was a P-47d pilot in WW2. Base Commander, Full Colonel in the Air Force. My Brothers were either in "Regular" or "Reserve" Units. Most of my friends are Veterans.

Hal's P-47d:



I didn't serve in the military. I was 1-A and #012 in 1973. Viet Nam wasn't over yet. Nixon cancelled the Draft three weeks before my 19th birthday. Whew. I REALLY didn't want to be in the Army. I would have ignored THAT LETTER and joined the Navy to become a photographer or darkroom technician, which I was already trained in.  

Kurt also said: "We could have saved the Planet but, we were just too damned lazy."

Instead of serving My Country in the Military, I chose to serve The World as a fundraiser for environmental conservation, social action and civil rights organizations. All The Usual Suspects. WWF, NRDC, Cousteau Society, Sierra Club, Defenders Of Wildlife, Greenpeace, Sea Shepherd, SPLC, Simon Wiesenthal Center, etc., etc.. We had about 40 different clients where I worked. Yes, I was a Pro. Yes, I got paid. Allot. I was good at it. I raised MILLIONS of dollars. Worked in a Natural Foods Cafe' during the day and did five hours a night raising money for the guys above.    

Here's a demotivational environmental photo for you regarding a trainload of Canada Crude going up in flames, in case you needed a kick start to action. ANY action will do.


Nice, huh? Hauling oil by train tanker is a swell idea, eh? No clue "who done it or where it is" but it does illustrate a point. "Yea, that used to be a really nice lake there, Bob." "Well said, Doug. Pass me a Labatt's. Maybe some already cooked trout will head our way." I'm not saying that a pipeline or ocean tanker is any different or "better" either.

So. Baseball. Wars. Saving The World. I think I've covered the bases. Oops. Baseball terminology...

Top of the 7th. Still 1-0, Giants. COLD in The City tonight. People wearing Parkas and such. Sam Clemmons once said: "The coldest Winter I ever spent was a Summer in San Francisco."

Wild pitch, man on third goes in the bottom of the 8th. 2-0, Giants. Casilla in to pitch the 9th for the Giants. "And THAT's the ballgame!"  

Enjoy Every Sandwich,
-Doc














No comments:

Post a Comment