Sunday, May 24, 2015

MEMORIAL DAY

Around here, Memorial Day is a rather somber kind of day. It was actually yesterday. I tend to reflect upon those that have lost their lives in service to the United States of America, display the Old, Ragged, Glory on my door (It went up yesterday and will come down at Sunset tomorrow), usually watch a baseball game or two and otherwise just "get on with Life" and do the things I usually do. In my ideology, it's not a day to "celebrate" or "party." The whole Weekend is usually pretty low-key.

First off, I drink some coffee, smoke some cigarettes, take my medicines, stare into the One Eyed Monster (TV) and ponder what needs to pulled out of the freezer for dinner. Next, I think about what might be included in this here thang and maybe listen to some Good Old American Rock and Roll. The Grateful Dead are "up" on the TV Radio thingamajig.

I use DishTV and there is no way I would even consider using any other TV Provider. I've tried them all and this is the one that stuck to the wall. Better satellites, doesn't break up so badly in the rain/wind, my $90.00 per month package (with line "insurance") has enough bells and whistles to keep me entertained and maybe the only gripe I have about DishTV is that there's no way to format the picture in "old, square dimensions." I still have two analog TV's that just won't die, knock on wood. Both came from thrift stores. #1 is a Japanese Magnavox that was sold as a "Pro Studio/Editing Monitor" and has more inputs and outputs than ANY plain old TV had in 1985. Still has a crystal clear picture. I route the audio from Dish Box through my digital home stereo amplifier. Set #2 is an old (probably late 90's) U.S. Magnavox that also has Japanese components but is branded as a U.S. manufactured unit. Plain old TV there, no fancy this n' that's. #2 is in the bedroom so, it gets watched early mornings, late nights and I sleep with it on. a "bad" habit I got into many years back. I program the sleepytime schedule before I go to sleep so I get mellow-ness all night long. Anything with a constant flat modulated voice-over will do. AHC allot of nights, especially between 01:00 and 06:00. Animal Planet, Nat. Geo., T.H.C. 1 or 2 will do after 04:00 as well.

Yes, that was/is a shameless "plug" for DishTV. I HATE my local satellite company AND DirecTV. Both blow dead <Insert Favorite Species Of Rodentia Here>.

Hard to believe that the Grateful Dead are celebrating 50 years of playing together this year, huh? Especially when I think about my first concert attendance happening in 1966. I was 12 years old. I was with my Dear Grandmother in Golden Gate park. I had no idea "what" I was watching/hearing. I just knew it was Groovy and that I Should Be Paying Attention. When I would go up to S.F. to hang out with Granny and my Uncle in the Summers, it was always Sunday In The Park. Always ending up at the Japanese Tea Gardens. I think I went to my "final" Grateful Dead Show in 1989. Utah to Pittsburgh, Pa. in a '76 Ford 1 ton van with four Other Hippies, all of them younger than me. I really wasn't all that excited about the shows, I just wanted to get to Pittsburgh, where I was going to hang out with my Ex-Wife. It was, of course, a mistake. I think I lasted about two months before I went back to My Coast and some semblance of Normalcy. Then, back to Utah to work and play some more. Lots of Deadheads in Utah, for whatever reason. I always thought it was kind of weird. On the one hand, you have the Magic Underwear People and on the other, a thriving Counterculture.

Typical weird 2015 weather outdoors. Fog. Low clouds, which, may or may not burn off during the afternoon. If you don't like the colors Green and Gray, you're not going to enjoy The Lost Coast, Man. 51 degrees right now. Flannel pants, a Jerry Garcia Handprint ball cap and a "Dolphin Club, S.F." sweatshirt on. Giants game @ Rockies, 13:00 PST. We "won one/lost one" in yesterday's Double Header. Down a peg to two games behind the Dodgers. Who cares? It's only "almost June." Lots of games left. 2+ hour rain delay start last night. The weather in Denver is all fucked up, too. There was hail @ Mile High (I refuse to call it "Coors Field") Stadium yesterday. "Too" because it certainly is FUBAR around here, weather-wise.

"I'm goin' where those chilly winds don't blow..." -Traditional/Guthrie/Monroe/Garcia/Hunter/etc.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Going_Down_The_Road_Feelin%27_Bad

"Wave It Wide And High!" (Apropos For Today)
-Doc



The upshot of the Evening is that M*A*S*H is on TV tonight. On the other hand, the Giants got their asses handed to them in Denver. Tit for tat.

I Love watching Robert Duvall crack up and lose it. Never get tired of watching it. The progression of (Hawkeye and Company) screwing the poor guy right into the ground is a delight, even all these years later. Seems like everytime I watch this, I forget that Bud Cort (Harold and Maude) is in the film.  I've never decided which of the three guys is funnier and I don't care. Last night, Kelley's Heroes was on. I watched part of it. Enough to hear Oddball (Sutherland, again) do his "Other Dog Imitation." Donald, I like allot. Can't stand his Kid though, ever since he started doing the Jack What's-His-Name-Act. He was much better in "Flashback" with Dennis Hopper.

 



     

No comments:

Post a Comment